Return to me


By Deacon Connie Stover, Director of Seeking the Spirit Within

The words “spiritual director” could be interpreted or understood to mean that a spiritual director issues directives or commands.  This description of spiritual direction is far from the reality of the intentions of this ministry.  Spiritual directors listen far more than they speak; and when words are spoken, they are often in the form of questions.

Spiritual direction is more like making use of a compass that is always pointing in the direction towards God.  Each of us can easily get distracted and lose sight of God in this life of never-ending activity, heavy responsibilities, and high expectations.  We can forget the truth and beauty of who we are and whose we are.

We are children of God!  We belong to the One who says, “Return to me with all your heart.” 



When I hear God say “return to me,” I feel God’s loving desire for each one of us.  And it is my sense that this desire is not just for what we may think is acceptable and worthy in us, but the desire I hear is for the ALL of who we are in that moment.

Even . . . in our brokenness and disrepair, sadness, guilt, anger, loneliness, confusion, doubt, shame, arrogance, God keeps inviting us to return.  We do not need to change to be able to return to God, we simply need to just come back home.

Wherever we find ourselves, God says “return to me.”  And my sense is that each time we return to God, we experience more and more of ourselves in the wholeness of who God created us to be.

I encourage you to practice a daily return to God.  Accept God’s invitation each day to return to being loved, accepted, embraced, nourished, reconnected, and re-membered.

A refrain often repeated by members of Alcoholics Anonymous seems relevant and useful:

Keep Coming Back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Lutheran of Lincoln - a Bit of History

Stories from Across the Synod

Proclaim the Good News