We are dust, but we are loved

By Lisa Kramme, Director of Faith Formation

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.   -John 14:16-17

As I stood at the sink washing Mom’s dishes the day after Dad died, she walked up to me, gave me a kiss on the cheek, and said, “That’s from your dad.  He gave me that kiss before he left in the ambulance, and now I’ve given that kiss to you and your brothers and sister, too.”  This happened over 25 years ago, and it’s still a treasured memory in my heart.  The reading from John comes only four chapters before Jesus is arrested and the arduous journey toward the cross begins.  Reading these verses, I’m reminded of my dad’s kiss. I feel convinced that both Jesus, and my dad wanted the people they love to know they are loved and to continue feeling supported by that love throughout their own lives.

Jesus’ offer of the Advocate to be with his followers is a gift that continues to be shared, and it’s a gift that’s shared with us.  How do we remind one another of the gift that the Spirit is?  In what ways do we set aside time and space to notice the Spirit’s abiding in our lives and in the broader world around us?  If you’re looking for resources that support your journey with the Spirit, the Nebraska Synod’s Seeking the Spirit Within and Faith Formation ministries have offerings that you may want to explore.

Loving Jesus, help us to remind each other of your love and your Spirit among us so that, as church together, we can remind the world of your love and presence, too.  Amen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Lutheran of Lincoln - a Bit of History

Stories from Across the Synod

Proclaim the Good News